A360 Project Director, Multi-Country II
Based in one of PSI’s A360 country offices (Kenya, Ethiopia or Nigeria) or in a PSI approved US State within the Eastern Standard Time
10-25% international travel
Work From Almost Anywhere Status = Eligible
Reports to VP, SRH, HIV and TB
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer-empowered healthcare.
A360 Amplify is a $78m, ten-year (2016-2025), global project funded by BMGF and CIFF. It supports the Ministries of Health in Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, and Tanzania to build adolescent responsive health systems. It applies human-centered design, meaningful adolescent and youth engagement, and adaptive implementation to design, deliver and continuously improve approaches that build empathy, demonstrate the relevance of contraception to adolescents’ self-defined goals, increase reproductive autonomy, improve contraceptive choices, and strengthen quality of care. In the second phase of the project, the approach has expanded beyond adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) to encompass economic empowerment and maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH). The project has a substantial implementation research component and is intended to generate learning and evidence that helps advance the ASRH sector. PSI partners with Population Services Kenya, Society for Family Health Nigeria, BRAC, IDEO, the Nairobi Design Institute, and other international and local organizations to design and deliver the project.
PSI seeks a Project Director, Multi-Country II to lead the project through to a successful conclusion. This is a complex and high-profile project. The Project Director will be accountable for the delivery of all aspects of the project, including technical implementation, financial and administrative compliance, and oversight and supervision of project staff. They will lead the coordination with donors, government officials, and other international and national stakeholders. They will be responsible for using evidence to improve project design and implementation and ensuring that learning across all project countries is shared and leveraged to improve results. They will serve as the primary point of contact for the project’s donors.
· Program Leadership & Management, including financial oversight, compliance, and management of a consortium of partners. 20% of the Time
· People Management. 10% of the Time
· Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management and Technical Leadership of the project. 20% of the Time
· External Representation. 15% of the Time
· Internal Representation and coordination. 15% of the Time
· Fundraising (with non-project funds). 5% of the Time
· Donor Liaison. 15% of the Time
The time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
· Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) MSc, MPH, MBA, MHA, MPA or equivalent
· At least 15 years of related work experience in public health or related field required. An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted.
· At least 5 years of supervisory experience.
· At least 5 years in the relevant technical field of the project:
o Technical expertise in sexual and reproductive health is essential.
o Technical expertise in health system strengthening is essential.
o Technical expertise in research and learning is preferred.
· At least 3 years managing multi-country projects with activities in low or middle-income countries (LMICs) preferred.
o Experience working with CIFF and/or BMGF is preferred.
o Experience working on projects with activities in A360’s geographies is preferred.
o Experience working on multi-sectoral programs is preferred.
· At least 5 years living and working in 2+ LMICs preferred.
· Demonstrated leader, ability to lead a complex team.
o Proven ability to effectively lead disbursed and diverse teams is essential.
o Proven ability to apply values-based leadership is essential.
· Ability to monitor and assess performance of self, other individuals, and/or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
· Demonstrated ability in developing strategy, catalyzing culture change, and turning strategy into action.
· Strong written and oral communication skills in English; additional language skills are a plus.
· Strong leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate and work across teams and roles. Ability to persuade and motivate people and teams.
· Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
o Experience successfully influencing government policy and practice is essential.
o Experience of partner management is preferred.
· Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills, with emphasis on the ability to operationalize and oversee the execution of work plans.
· Established leadership skills with a proven ability to nurture, develop and deliver through teams.
· Ability to work effectively and sensitively in a cross-cultural context.
· Excellent diplomatic skills and proven ability to work effectively with government officials, partners, donors, and stakeholders at high levels.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
· Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
· Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect. #
· Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
· Collaboration:You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
· Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
· Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. The successful candidate must be authorized to work in the approved PSI locations. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
For US residents: PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard-free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: [email protected] or call +1 (202)785-0072.
To apply for this job please visit careers-psi.icims.com.