United Nations Office at Nairobi (UN)
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located in UNON, Nairobi duty station, within Information and Communications Technology Services (ICTS) of the Division of Administrative Services, UNON.
Under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Chief, UNON/ICTS/ICS the incumbent will work with the Ministry of ICT in Kenya, the Communications Authority of Kenya, Telecommunications companies and Internet Providers in Kenya for satellite segments, communication lines, emergency satellite phones, etc:
- Assist in the design, development and installation of information and telecommunications systems.
- Maintain information systems and telecommunications equipment which may include Cisco IP Telephony, Cisco IP Video conferencing, Remote Simultaneous Interpretation (RSI), PSTN/GSM/International gateway routers, satellites, BGANS for emergency internet, Digital Signage installations, Thuraya satellite communication and other telecommunications systems.
- Work with the Host County Ministry of ICT for satellite segments and radio frequency allocation and maintenance, communication lines, emergency satellite phones.
- Work with the Host Country Ministry of Internal Affairs Cyber Security branch, on information security incidents, attacks, and social engineering originated from Kenya IP Network Segment.
- Assist in providing emergency telecommunications capabilities supporting UNON and client agency field offices, including business continuity process.
- Maintain assigned portions of systems, providing operational support for system¿s applications, analyzing and implementing system changes/upgrades, etc.
- Participate in developing and maintaining telecommunications project plans, schedules, and budgets. Assist in identifying appropriate human and technical resources to complete the projects, assist in assuring that deviations from project schedule are addressed and communicated, assist in developing timely project status reports, monitoring project risk factors, escalating project issues, and providing Quality Assurance for all project deliverables.
- Participate in preparing user requirements and other technical specifications.
- Write and develop programs to interface with existing systems.
- Prepare, update and maintain system¿s documentation and related technical/procedural manuals.
- Assist in procurement of ICT and telecommunications equipment and services, including conducting needs assessments, preparing technical specifications and evaluation criteria.
- Assist in the set-up and monitoring of real time traffic (IPT/VC/RSI) performance measures.
- Draft training material and conduct training sessions and demonstrations of systems for users.
- Participate with senior staff in assessing and testing new technology.
- Provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Telecommunications, Electronic engineering, Computer science, Information Systems or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information, networks (WAN-LAN) and telecommunication systems or related area is required.
- Work experience in managing Cisco IPT, Cisco IPVC, HF/VHF/UHF radios and satellites
- and telecommunications projects management is required.
- Experience in the UN common system or comparable international organization is desirable.
- Experience in managing Remote Simultaneous Interpretation (RSI) systems is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For this position advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.