International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Requisition ID: req37070
Job Title: Asylum Seekers and Families Shelter Technician
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
The welcome center is an emergency shelter for migrants and Asylum Seekers who have recently been released from government custody. The Welcome Center aims to provide safe respite and supportive emergency services to Asylum Seekers while they coordinate travel to their new home in the US.
The Asylum Seekers & Families (ASF) Shelter Technician provides direct client services to asylum seekers to ensure all basic needs are met during their stay at IRC’s Welcome Center.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure clients have access to all services provided at the shelter including meals, bedding, clothes, and personal hygiene supplies as needed.
- Complete rounds throughout the shift, to ensure all services are running smoothly.
- Maintain a clean, safe, secure, and stable center; clean and organize the center and maintain child-friendly spaces.
- Assist with client intakes and orientation and support travel arrangements for clients.
- Answer client questions regarding Welcome Center services.
- Complete inventory of Welcome Center supplies and restocking for next day operations.
- Participate in all program meetings and fully engage as a member of the team.
- Comply with all IRC policies, procedures and protocols including adherence to the IRC Way and Child Safeguarding.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education: High School diploma or higher.
- Prior experience working with refugee populations or asylum seekers is highly valued.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Spanish speaking or bilingual ability in another client language (Brazilian, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Punjabi, Russian) is heavily preferred but not required.
- Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a team member.
- Self- starter with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Good communication skills; experience in a multi-cultural environment preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, active insurance policy, access to reliable transportation and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area are preferred.
- In accordance with Arizona State Law, must possess or be eligible to receive a fingerprint clearance card.
- Must be able to work non-traditional hours, such as weekends, nights and holidays as needed.
- The Welcome Center is a 24-hour facility; flexible work hours, including holidays, evenings, and weekends with regular contact with ASF clients and volunteers.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: Short-term employees are not eligible to participate in the IRC Benefits Program. Payroll will be processed through a third-party. There may be opportunities for long-term employment with benefits at the 3-month mark.
To apply for this job please visit rescue.csod.com.