Website Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania
Farmer Training Centre Farm Manager
We are looking for an experienced Farm Manager to work at SAT-Farmer Training center Farm. As a farm manager, you’ll be responsible for the work of farm staff, farm administrative issues, and all financial aspects of the farm. As the farm manager, you will also deal directly with suppliers, customers, and other stakeholders. Keeping up with new developments and ensuring compliance with regulations also fall under your areas of responsibility. Many farms have diversified in recent years and include keeping livestock of varying species and all these projects will also be overseen by you in your role. Note that many farms are concerned with arable crops and livestock, so please check the reference for Farm Manager (Crops). Your duties will vary with the type of livestock being reared.
- Planning and implementing breeding programs for farm animals
- Implementing new agroecological farming technologies which minimize costs and enhance production and productivity
- Ensuring the farm is compliant with various legal guidelines and working to minimize the environmental impact of the business, for instance via waste disposal
- Monitoring the health and welfare of the livestock
- Keeping all farm records including the movements of all livestock into and out of the farm
- With the support of the Horticulture expert /supervisor ensure the horticulture section is properly managed and production is enhanced
- Marketing and selling the livestock and livestock products to a variety of customers
- Managing any farm diversification activities
- Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
- Undertaking practical work as necessary depending on the volume of work
- Recruiting and managing farm staff following discussion with the management and ensuring they work safely and effectively
- Managing cash flow and developing and monitoring budgets
As a Farm Manager, you’ll be likely to spend a lot of your time in the office and farm making sure that everything is moving along profitably and dealing with suppliers, customers, and other stakeholders. This doesn’t mean that you won’t be expected to undertake manual work around the farm at times, involving physical labor in dirty conditions.
You’ll need to be able to manage a team and solve problems as they arise without delay. Generally, the role is for someone interested in farming as a business enterprise and in science and nature generally.
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS ARE DEMANDED?
Applicants will be required to have a relevant minimum Diploma in Livestock, animal production, range management, or Animal Science or a Degree in Agricultural Sciences.
Working experience Minimum 3 years.
Alternatively, the candidate may have originally commenced employment in a farm business as a farm worker with an Apprenticeship level qualification in a subject such as Agriculture, specializing in livestock or animal husbandry
The ability to make decisions in stressful environments, super communication, and interpersonal skills, and willingness to work overtime as required will be a plus.
- An application letter describing your motivation for the position
- Recommendation letter
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae with three current contacts of reference
- Copy of NIDA Card or NIDA Number
- Photocopy of academic certificates and transcripts
Applications should be addressed to
Human Resource Manager
Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT),
P.O Box 6369,
All applications should be submitted online by logging in to https://kilimo.org/job-vacancies/ before 11th May 2022.