Background and Organizational Context
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network whose focus is to help countries build and share solutions to the challenges of sustainable development as informed by the 2030 sustainable development agenda. The overall focus for UNDP Tanzania is to support the Government of Tanzania to improve the lives of the people through strategic programmatic areas of Inclusive Democratic Governance, Inclusive Economic Growth and Sustainable Livelihoods and Environment Sustainability, Climate Change and Resilience.
UNDP and the European Union have recently signed a Contribution Agreement to support the Government of Tanzania through the Ministry of Energy (MOE) and collaborating partners to achieve the overall objective of ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all in Tanzania. The project will fast-track implementation of key Energy Efficiency actions and prepare a comprehensive Energy Efficiency Action Plan (EEAP), which will be integrated with the Tanzania Energy Efficiency Strategy (TEES) in support of the National Energy Policy and strategic goals set by the Tanzania National Development Vision 2025. In addition to EEAP, other key actions under this project are included.
(i) Development of Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) and Labelling,
(ii) Development and implementation of a framework for energy performance certification in large buildings,
(iii) Enhancement of Energy Consumption Data of Large Energy Consumers,
(iv) Development and implementation of a framework for the management of large energy consumers,
(v) Development of professional qualifications and skills in Energy Management and Audit,
(vi) Creation of Energy Efficiency Awareness of the Public
(vii) Strengthening of coordination on EEAP implementation.
The project is expected to help the country in strengthening Legal, Regulatory, Institutional frameworks, and administrative actions to support the implementation and introduction of Energy Efficiency actions; help large energy consumers and general users to identify and implement quantifiable investments in Energy Efficiency; help in capacity and skills development, jobs creation and increase employability in the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy services and technology sector, particularly for women and youth; and increase public awareness, access to information, stakeholder dialogue and visibility of financial, economic, and societal benefits of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. Project implementation is led by UNDP in accordance with UNDP’s rules and regulations and provisions of the general conditions to the EU-UNDP contribution Agreement. UNDP will spearhead the implementation of all aspects of operational management, coordination with other initiatives and procurement of services and supplies in collaboration with a Project Coordination Unit (PCU) at the Ministry of Energy (MoE).
In the above context, UNDP wishes to engage the services of Logistics and Administrative Associate who will assume the responsibility and accountability of coordinating all operation related roles to include logistics, administrative, procurement and activities including undertaking basic financial management to ensure effective utilization of resources and facilities towards the attainment of set objectives on the project related to the implementation of the Tanzania Energy Efficiency Action Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Develop work plan for the admin/logistics team to ensure effective achievement of results;
- Supervise staff in the admin/logistics team and ensure that clear work plans are developed for all team members;
- Set up annual performance targets for all staff in the Admin/Logistics team and ensure that the targets are reviewed on a periodic basis.
2. General administrative, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plan, prioritize and implement activities related to administrative needs;
- Ensure efficient, effective, responsive, transparent, and accountable provision of administrative services to support the Project team in the implementation of the activities;
- Coordinate and work together with procurement staff to get goods and services required for staff and maintenance of the office;
- Ensure a clean and healthy environment by ensuring proper maintenance of office premises;
- Ensure that the support staff perform their duties satisfactorily and provide them with adequate access to facilities and equipment they need to do their job properly;
- Perform as security focal point and ensure that all staff is updated on security measures and rules and regulations of UNDP;
- Maintain liaison and close working relationship with the UNDP CO and relevant Government project staff on all administrative issues;
- Ensure production and maintenance of up-to-date and accurate administrative records and reports including an organized filing system.
3. Logistics management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Design and conduct logistics and supply needs assessment and prepares plans based on that;
- Ensure timely supply of fuel, stationary, minor IT equipment, and printing;
- Transport management, focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Review and update transportation needs of the Project Team and arrange vehicles including rental vehicles accordingly.
4. Travel and event management and organization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitate organizing events such as conferences, workshops, seminars, and meetings;
- Assist in obtaining a security clearance and organizing missions within and outside of Tanzania;
- Provide travel arrangements for national partners and project staff within and outside Tanzania.
5. Capacity building and mentoring, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Closely work with relevant staff in building their capacity in all areas related to administration and logistics management and support;
- Conduct training sessions for staff on corporate rules, regulations, and tools.
- Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline;
- Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements;
- Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback;
- Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible;
- Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident;
- Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships;
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Registry & correspondence management: Ability to collect, register, maintain and deliver mail and UNDP pouch; ability to manage archives;
- Events management (including retreats, trainings, and meetings) Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
- Assets management: Maintain Asset Management Module in ATLAS, Asset Dashboard;
- Procurement management: The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source;
- Category management: Ability to segment spend into areas which contain similar or related products enabling focus opportunities for consolidation and efficiency;
- Lease management: Ability to perform business case analysis to enter into an agreement with owners, governments and sister UN agencies, collect leasehold data for each location and maintain the global premises database; administer RFA;
- Data management: Knowledge of processing, storing, and validating procurement data.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with specialized certification.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Administration, Business Management, Logistics, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, or any other related field is desirable but not a requirement.
- Minimum 6 years (Secondary Education) or 3 years (bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible experience in Administration, Business Management, Logistics, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, or any other related field is required;
- Relevant practical experience in office management, business administration or any other related field;
- Specialized training in administration and logistics is an asset;
- Administrative and logistics management experience with the UN system is desirable;
- Experience in capacity development and knowledge transfer;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel etc) is required;
- Strong organizational and reporting skills.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
- Fluency in Swahili is an advantage.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The deadline for submitting the application is 01 June 2022.