Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
You will contribute to strategy development in Social Behavior Change and Community Health at a global level and provide technical advice and leadership in all programmatic aspects of Social Behavior Change (SBC) and Community Health (CH), including as a focal point for a geographic area as needed, in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to Technical Advisors and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your expertise, advice and influence will significantly contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ SBC & Community Health programming is across the world.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design, advocate for, and ensure implementation of agency-wide strategies, standards, tools, and best practices in Social Behavior Change & Community Helath that effectively engage partners, donors, and governments. Ensure a cross-sectoral approach that integrates gender, protection mainstreaming, and disaster risk reduction.
- Provide technical solutions globally, for regional and/or CP teams for strategic planning and how to best apply ad adapt program design and implementation standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools, ad M&E in Community Health and SBC.
- Contribute to HQ, regional, and country program staff efforts to pre-position CRS for strategic growth opportunities in Community Health and SBC. Provide technical guidance in proposal development and project design with a focus on complex projects to ensure innovative programming solutions and technical excellence. Support CPs to appropriately staff project teams.
- Oversee and lead the delivery of capacity strengthening initiatives in SBC and Community Health globally for staff and partners through helping develop learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums; organizing and/or facilitating trainings, workshops and conferences; and mentoring and coaching staff in innovative CRS approaches and tools. Provide mentoring and coaching to TAs, as well as CP and regional staff.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance assessment for direct reports.
- Contribute to knowledge management and learning agenda in SBC & Community Health by fostering opportunities for collective learning that ensure the capturing, documenting, and sharing of key successes, promising practices, lessons learned, and evidence-based implementation research, internally and externally, including publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Represent CRS in targeted regional or global forums to develop opportunities and better ensure collaboration and shared learning in SBC & Community Health to influence technical partner approaches, future funding opportunities, and policies. Network with relevant organizations to increase CRS’ profile in SBC & Community Health, influence in the global SBC and Community Health community, and donor diversification.Required Languages – English. Proficiency in French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic desirable.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 30% of the time, conditions permitting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Very strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Very strong written and oral communication skills
- Very strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Master’s Degree in development studies, public health, behavioral economics, social marketing, communications, psychology, or another related field required.
- Minimum of seven years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions related to Community Health and SBC, though preferably five.
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful proposals for external donor funding is required.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in social and behavior change, communication, or social marketing. General knowledge of other related disciplines and programmatic sectors within CRS to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Experience in business development, project design and proposal development in Community Health and SBC, including technical writing.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff): These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & StewardshipSupervisory Responsibilities: none