Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
Weill Bugando School Of Medicine Lecturer Department Of Psychiatry 1 Post
[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Education, and Training , Category: Teachers & Education ]
Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
Deadline of this Job:
10 September 2022
Within Tanzania , Mwanza , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• A holder of a Master of Medicine (MMed) or equivalent degree with a GPA of 4 and above or with an average of B+ grade from a recognized Institution plus a GPA of 3.5 and above from the undergraduate studies. Must be registered by respective Council/Board.
• Teaching experience of 2 years is an added advantage
ii. General Attributes
• Adherence to professional ethic
• Ability to design set, administer and supervise different assessment items
• Ability to recognize students having difficulties, intervene and provide help and support
• Ability to mark student scripts and course work assessment items and provide feedback
• Computer skills and application
• Ability to prepare and deliver own teaching materials
• Potential to be a good role model and steer students towards dedication to learning, creativity and problem solving
• Possession of sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the relevant discipline
• and of teaching methods and techniques to work within own area
• Ability to carry out independent research and provide feedback and
• Ability to supervise research and other knowledge generating and development activities
iii. Duties and Responsibilities
a. Main purpose of the post
• Effective teaching
• Knowledge advancement through research
• Delivery of quality services; and
• Effective realisation of the institution’s mission
b. Key Functions
• Deliver face to face teaching including lectures, small group tutorials, seminars and bedside teaching (where appropriate) across a range of backgrounds of students including undergraduates, postgraduates and Interns.
• Participate in the preparation and organization of the undergraduate and postgraduate core teaching and assessment programme including organizing journal clubs.
• Develop online teaching material and other online resources.
• Develop and implement new methods of teaching and innovative teaching methods that encourage student participation and problem solving and a content that reflects changes in research.
• Participate in curricula reform as necessary in the context of an expanding medical knowledge. Taking an active part in developing new courses.
• Promote integrated teaching for medical and other students during lectures, tutorials and clinical teaching.
• Take part in the University examinations by preparing and administering exam questions, taking part in viva voce as well as marking exam papers and students’ coursework.
• Strive for the holistic development of the student by providing sound knowledge, the highest analytical ability.
• Instilling in the student the concern for ethical and moral values.
• Undertake a pastoral role – acting as academic advisor to students.
• Conduct high quality research in area of specialization and interest and actively contribute to the institution’s research profile.
• Take advantage of locally available research funds to conduct research of national priority.
• Pursue to the extent possible external funding.
• Publish at least one paper a year in high impact professional and scientific journals.
• Develop and maintain a competitive research group in a recognized area of research in health and allied sciences.
• Supervise and guide students as well as junior staff members of the Department in research projects involving health sciences.
• Develop an educational research portfolio in an area relating to local needs and study for a higher degree in medical education.
• Disseminate research findings both nationally and internationally.
• Collaborate with colleagues in other institutions of higher learning in research.
iii.Clinical Service and Teaching
• Participate in the delivery of services in area of specialization.
• Maintain an active registration to practice medicine as regulated by the Medical Council and perform clinical duties.
• Ensure in the course of the clinical training of medical and other students that the
o Master the art of history taking,
o Master the art of physical examination,
o Can suggest appropriate investigations,
o Carry out simple lab tests in a side room setting,
• Make tentative conclusions and therefore venture a differential diagnosis and possible treatment,
• Consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to the patient and choose the most appropriate one,
• Communicate their clinical findings in writing effectively and as appropriate for the needs of the audience,
• Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems,
• Understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making,
• Adjust actions in relation to other findings or actions of others,
• Manage one’s own time and the time of others effectively.
• Provide supervision in case assignment to medical students, residents, AMOs including signing off on charts as necessary.
• Ensure patients under your care are examined properly to obtain information about their physical and mental condition.
• Ensure appropriate diagnostic tests are ordered.
• Assist students and residents in the interpretation of diagnostic tests indicating their deviations from normal.
• Assist in making tentative diagnoses and decisions about management and treatment of patients under your care.
• Ensure record patient medical data, including health history, progress notes and results of physical examination are obtained, compiled and recorded.
• Provide young physicians with assistance during complicated medical procedures.
• Perform therapeutic procedures that are beyond the competence of doctors under your care.
• Instruct and counsel patients about prescribed therapeutic regimens, and procedures to be undertaken.
• Visit and observe patients on hospital rounds updating charts and ordering therapy.
• Acts on all cases referred to your care by other service providers within and outside BMC.
• Assist in internal quality control within the area of specialization.
• Provide quality medical care according to standards established by the BMC and CUHAS committee on quality assurance.
• Be available to participate in providing continuity for hospital in- patient management. • Conduct and encourage students and junior staff to attend to admission rounds.
• Conduct oneself in a manner that upholds ethical principles befitting of a health provider.
iv. STUDENT AND STAFF ADMINISTRATION
• Participate actively in departmental administrative tasks in areas like student admissions, induction courses, departmental committees and faculty board meetings when called upon to do so.
• Manage and supervise junior staff in the Department and be prepared to take up the role of head of Department when called upon to do so.
• Participate in departmental, professional conferences and seminars, and contribute to these as necessary.
• Establish collaborative links outside the University with industrial, commercial and public organizations and institutions of higher learning.
• Make yourself accessible to students and make sure you are available during office hours; else your whereabouts should be known to peers/Head of Department.
• Make sure you observe University policies and procedures.
• Provide performance appraisal (or confidential) reports timely as may be requested by the department from time to time.
• Assist in identifying internal and external examiners for courses under your care.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• Successful candidates will be offered competitive packages and benefits in accordance with their qualifications and experience as per CUHAS Scheme of Service.
• All applicants must be Citizens of Tanzania.
• Applications must be typed in English.
• All application letters must be accompanied with detailed and current Curriculum Vitae, all relevant certificates and full transcripts. For applicants with foreign certificates, a recognition by TCU must be attached.
• Names and valid addresses (and phone numbers or emails) of 3 credible referees must be provided.
• The deadline is Saturday 10th September, 2022 at 04:30 pm.
Applications must be addressed and sent to:
• VICE CHANCELLOR,
• CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH AND ALLIED SCIENCES (CUHAS)
• P.O. BOX 1464,
• Or E-Mail to: [email protected]