International Rescue Committee
Job Summary: IRCSan Jose recently launched its YouthWorks Program. The Youth Career Specialist will play a lead role in coordinating career exploration activities, access to career technical training, internships, and work experience (WEX). This will support participants in achieving performance outcomes related to employment and median earnings post program exit. Youth Career Specialist is responsible for managing and documenting service provision, working collaboratively with team members, and meeting performance goals. Specifically, the Employment Specialist provides services that include employment preparation, job readiness training, placement support, career enhancement services and follow-up services. This position also works within a team to maintain and nurture existing employer relationships.
Do you have a background working with youth or multi-cultural populations? Are you passionate about make a positive impact and seeing an improvement in the lives of the people we serve? Then join us.
- Develop and cultivate long term relationships with San Jose and Gilroy area employers in order to identify appropriate employment and work experience opportunities for clients.
- Engaging employers for paid work experience opportunities, job placement, career exploration activities
- Determine specific internships opportunities appropriate to clients and assist clients in accessing these opportunities by guiding them through the process.
- Determine specific work experience (WEX) opportunities appropriate to clients and assist clients in accessing these opportunities by guiding them through the hiring process.
- Provide comprehensive intake, assessment, orientation, and pre-employment/job readiness classes to clients eligible for employment services.
- Conduct group and one-on-one job readiness courses that provide clients with the basic skills required to enhance their employability, such as cultural and workplace orientation, mock interviews, creation of resumes, and job skills development sessions.
- Keep accurate digital and physical attendance, assessment, and, service provision records.
- Monitor client job performance, wage level, and employer/employee satisfaction.
- Assist clients and employers as necessary with post placement issues and continuing employment needs.
- Ensure timely and accurate compliance to all reporting requirements, including database management, case noting, and file maintenance.
- Develop and coordinate training programs to assist with career development opportunities.
- Supervise and assist program interns and volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Youth Workforce Program Manager
Position directly supervises: Volunteers and interns
Indirect Reporting: N/A
External: School districts, community colleges, America’s Job Center of California (AJCC), county welfare departments (CWD), and other service providers.
- Undergraduate degree in Social Work or related field of study; or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience in human services field preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with the US job search process and the ability to effectively coach clients through the nuanced process of securing employment;
- Familiarity with the San Jose/Gilroy job market strongly preferred;
- Proven success achieving goals and working effectively with all levels of staff in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment;
- Self- starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; bilingual ability in Spanish is desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and online databases.
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the willingness to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
• Standard office work environment coupled with regular travel in and around the service delivery area.
• Reoccurring need to provide services outside of traditional work hours (evenings and weekends).
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website:
To apply for this job please visit rescue.csod.com.